Sunday, April 10, 2016

60 foot waffle boxcar on the fair in Dresden

Sometimes positive surprises come your way, as happened at the Dresden fair. Not only the CSX waffle boxcar but also the Milwaukee version were presented to me. I was convinced that the number of details to be printed on this Milwaukee boxcar was too high to make this car possible and believe me, attaching decals to this car is a real nightmare.

I was wrong, see for yourself.

This is TT West's reference:


and this is the prototype with the decals:


And of course the CSX version:

Please feel free to give feedback. . .

5 comments:

  1. They look good Rob! And here's another possibility-
    http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw04176bga.jpg
    Repainted in CP colors, still with the Milwaukee reporting marks. And it looks like they used a piece of sheet metal for the logo and reporting marks, so maybe a thin piece of styrene could be added (and it would make decals easier?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it is really close to the reality. I miss the white stripe at the ends. It is a excess height car. See at the builder picture:
    http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?o=milw&i=milw4175

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Al and Mirko,

    That CP livery is a nice one, I will take it into consideration. The white band is a part of the livery definition, but it was left out on this prototype.

    The 60 ft waffle boxcar is a model from Siegfried Heerde, that he has allowed me to reproduce. I wanted to test whether resin casting in combination with a metal bottom is feasible. This in relation to my next project, the gondola. I will produce a maximum of 100 pieces.

    I will be casting the shell in-house myself, I have found a supplier to cast the metal botton in the Netherlands, the trucks will be supplied by MTB and the painting will be done in Germany.

    The selling price of the boxcar will be around €100 without coupling.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      I can see the white band on the b/w picture of the MILW 4175. Here is one in color of #4179:
      http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=milw4179&o=milw

      Delete
  4. Hi Mirko, thanks for this example.

    ReplyDelete